About Us

 

History of the Polish Women's Civic Club

In 1924 the progressive wives, mothers, sisters and daughters of the members of Chicago Society of the Polish National Alliance, a Polish American professional men's organization, founded the Chicago Society Auxiliary. Their purpose was to serve as a support system to the newly arrived immigrants, and assist with the social, cultural and economic development of the community.

In 1933, membership was opened to any woman of Polish descent who was willing to contribute her time, talent and treasure. In 1945, the organization became known as the Polish Women's Civic Club, Inc. with philanthropy as its mission.  Five years later the mission was changed to philanthropic and scholarships.

Contributions were made to not-for-profit charitable agencies, museums, hospitals, etc. But the most important contributions went to the young students of Polish decent who struggled to get an education. 

For the past 59 years, the Polish Women's Civic Club has raised and given over half a million dollars in scholarships to deserving, qualified college students of Polish descent attending Chicago area colleges, universities and professional schools.

The membership promotes Polish heritage and culture and has participated in international folk fairs; Constitution Day parades; papal and presidential visits; telethons; etc.  The Polish Women’s Civic Club is proud to have past and present judges, gubernatorial candidate and many other prominent women as its members.

In 1987, the Civic Club was a recipient of the Copernican Award for its outstanding work. 
Make a Free Website with Yola.